Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Quarter 1 Language Exam Study Guide

 Quarter 1 Language Exam Study Guide

Your Language exam will consist of the material learned in our weekly Writing and Grammar classes. This means you are responsible for all of the information in your Work on Writing and Language notebooks. If anything is difficult or confusing for you, please come see me for extra help as soon as possible.

Grammar:

Lesson 1 Types of Sentences

*I know the four types of sentences and their end marks.

Vocabulary: interrogative, question, exclamatory, exclamation, declarative, statement, imperative, command

Lesson 2 Subjects and Predicates

*I can identify the simple and complete subject and predicate of a sentence.

Vocabulary: subject, predicate, simple subject, complete subject, simple predicate, complete predicate

Lesson 3 Sentences, Fragments, and Run-Ons

*I can identify complete sentences, fragments, and run on sentences. I can correct fragments and run-ons to make complete sentences.

Vocabulary: sentence, fragment, run-on

Lesson 4 Common and Proper Nouns

*I can tell the difference between common and proper nouns and I can write them properly.

Vocabulary: noun, common noun, proper noun

Lesson 5 Plural Nouns

*I can differentiate between singular and plural nouns. I can identify specific rules for changing singular words into plural words.

*Be familiar with, and able to apply the four rules for changing singular nouns into plural nouns

Lesson 6 Possessive Nouns

*I can change singular and plural nouns into their possessive form using the rules

Writing:

Lesson 1 Putting Boring Words to Rest

*I know which words are too boring for writing or speaking in grade 4.

Lesson 2 Vivid Verbs

*I know vivid verbs to use instead of boring verbs.

*I can brainstorm vivid verbs to describe actions in pictures.

Lesson 3 Awesome Adjectives

*I can identify and classify types of adjectives. I can use these adjectives correctly in my writing.

*Be familiar with adjectives in the following categories: what kind, how many, how is it feeling, what it feels like, how it smells/tastes/sounds, what it looks like (color, shape, size)

Lesson 4 Short Response to Literature

*I can respond (reply) to literature (books/poems/articles etc.) using the ACE method.

*For this lesson you are only required to answer questions using part A and part C.

Lesson 5 Great Sentences

*I can create great sentences following the pattern:
Describer (awesome adjective) + Subject (noun) + Vivid Verb

Main Idea


*Be able to read a short text and explain, in your own words, the main idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment