Friday, December 2, 2016

Quarter 2 Math Exam Study Guide

Quarter 2 Math Exam Study Guide

The Quarter 2 Math Exam will focus on Chapters 5-8. You are responsible for all lessons listed below.

Chapter 5: Algebraic Reasoning

Lesson 5.1 Algebra: Order of Operations

*I can use the order of operations to simplify expressions. (BEDMAS)

*          Brackets
            E
            Division                      
            Multiplication 
            Addition
            Subtraction

*Vocabulary: expression, order of operations, parentheses

*          Simply means to show your work for each step.

                                    6 x (8-5) + 7
                                    6 x 3 + 7
                                    18 + 7
                                    25
           

Lesson 5.2 Words into Expressions

*I can use variables to write expressions

*Vocabulary: variable, expression

*Remember, that multiplication can be shown in 3 ways: 3n 3*n      3 x n


Lesson 5.3 Compare Expressions

*I can compare expressions

*Vocabulary: equal, equation, inequality

*Know the symbol for equation and for inequality (page 116 of textbook)


Lesson 5.4 Variables and Equations

*I can write and solve equations

*Vocabulary: equation, variable

*Use opposite operations to solve equations with variables

*Always check your answers and show your work
Example: x + 5 = 12
               12 – 5 = 7
To check:         x = 7
                        7 + 5 = 12


Lesson 5.5 Problem Solving: Write an Equation

*I can write equations to represent and solve problems.

*Remember:
1. First, you need to look to see which information we have already and which information we need to find out.

2. We use a variable to represent the information we need to find out.
3. Write an equation to help you solve the problem.

4. Solve the equation.  Find out what the variable equals. (ex. n = 7)
5. Check if the equation is true.  Substitute your answer for the variable in the equation and solve.

6. Write the answer to the question in a full sentence.


Lesson 5.6 Function Tables

*I can relate equations to function tables

Vocabulary: function table





Chapter 6: Multiply by One-Digit Numbers

Lesson 6.1 Multiply Multiples of 10, 100, and 1,000

*I can use basic facts and patterns to multiply using mental math.   

Lesson 6.2 Estimate products

*I can estimate products by rounding factors.   
       
Vocabulary: products, factors

Lesson 6.4 Multiply Two-Digit Numbers by One-Digit Numbers

*I can regroup ones or tens to multiply.        

Lesson 6.6 Multiply Three Digit Numbers by One Digit Numbers

*I can multiply three digit numbers by one digit numbers.   

Lesson 6.7 Multiply Greater Numbers

*I can multiply with four digit and five digit numbers.

Chapter 7: Multiply by Two-Digit Numbers

Lesson 7.1 Patterns with Multiples of 10, 100, and 1,000

*I can use patterns and basic facts to multiply mentally.

Lesson 7.2 Estimate Products

*I can use rounding to estimate products

Lesson 7.4 Multiply 2 Two Digit Numbers

*I can multiply 2 two digit numbers

Vocabulary: distributive property, associative property

Lesson 7.6 Multiply Three Digit Numbers by Two Digit Numbers

*I can multiply three digit numbers by two digit numbers.

Lesson 7.7 Multiply Greater Numbers

*I can multiply four and five digit numbers by two digit numbers.

Unit 4 Division of Whole Numbers
Chapter 8: Understand Division

Lesson 8.2 Divide with Remainders
*I can find two digit quotients with and without remainders

Lesson 8.3 Problem Solving: Interpret Remainders
*I can interpret a remainder to find a reasonable answer

Lesson 8.4 Regroup in Division
*I can regroup to divide two digit numbers
Vocabulary: divisor, quotient, dividend, regroup

Lesson 8.5 Divide Multiples of 10, 100, and 1,000
*I can use basic facts and patterns to divide mentally

Lesson 8.6 Estimate Quotients
*I can estimate quotients
Vocabulary: estimate


No comments:

Post a Comment